24Hour Callout

CALL NOW: 07841 432657

24Hour Callout

CALL NOW: 07841 432657

Gas Leak Detection Service

Gas leaks are dangerous and may lead to fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. If you suspect a gas leak you should contact JT Plumbing and Heating on 07841 432657, or The National Grid on 0800 111 999 for advice.

Detecting gas leaks:

First, let’s look at detection. When there’s a gas leak inside your home, the first thing you may notice is the smell of the gas around your appliances. Gas leaks in appliances are typically caused by poorly fitted, badly maintained or faulty appliances. We recommend that you have all of your gas appliances checked by one of our gas safe registered engineers annually.

The gas may also be affecting how you feel. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include feeling dizzy or lightheaded, nausea, shortness of breath and chest pain. If you’re feeling any of these, go outside immediately and get some fresh air. Left untreated, carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to unconsciousness and be fatal.

Gas leaks in the pipes outside your home can be harder to detect. One sign to look out for is a smell of gas that comes and goes. If your gas pipes are located underground, you may have a dead patch of grass or plants near the leak. Or if it has rained and there are puddles outside, you might see bubbles on their surface.

Actions to take if you have a gas leak:

Once you’ve decided there could be a gas leak, you should act fast.

The first thing to do is to turn off the gas at the meter. You’ll find this in a metal box on the sidewall of your home or under a domed plastic cover in your front garden. Turn the gas handle 90 degrees, so that it’s at right angles to the pipe. If your home uses LPG gas instead of piped natural gas, go outside and find the cylinder. Close the valve by turning it clockwise.

Next, go back inside and make sure that your gas appliances are all turned off. For any older style gas heaters and ovens, you will also need to extinguish the pilot light. There should be instructions on the appliance for where to find this valve. If you have any candles, oil burners or naked flames burning, blow these out. Open as many windows and doors as possible, take your phone and go outside.

If you have a gas leak you must never do the following:

  • Do not turn light switches or electrical appliances on or off, as they could spark and ignite the gas
  • Do not use fans to disperse the gas, as they could also spark and ignite the gas
  • Do not smoke or light matches
  • Do not stay inside your home unnecessarily.

Once outside your home, you should immediately phone a licensed, gas safe plumber, such as JT Plumbing and Heating on 07841 432657

We’ll promptly identify and fix any gas leaks and can replace any old or worn gas appliances – keeping you and your family safe again.

Request A Callback

Our team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your needs.

landlord promotion

Call Us Today

We are here for all of your plumbing needs!

CALL NOW: 07841 432657